Spring is finally here and at last Scotland has been experiencing some glorious sunshine. There is nothing more inspirational than sunshine to get us in the mood for summer and get us thinking about our summer holidays and what we plan to see and do. Have you booked your holiday yet? If not, holidays in St Andrews are sure not to disappoint. Steeped in history, there’s plenty to see and do. And of course let’s not forget about the strong links with royalty and romance after the blossoming of love with Prince William and Kate Middleton in this seductive and inspiring town.
Holidays are about unwinding and not having to think too hard. It’s why we’ve outlined our top 10 favourite things to do this summer in St Andrews.
1) If you are in the area on the 31st July this year, then be sure to toss your caber and come along and watch some true Scottish sporting activities at the St Andrews Highland Games at Station Park.
2) For those of you who appreciate the creative arts and fancy indulging in artistry at its best, then the East Neuk festival running from the 25th June to the 3rd July provides beautiful literature, a fabulous array of music, art installations and much more in atmospheric and quirky places sure to leave you with some wonderful memories.
3) Are you an avid horticulturalists or do you just simply appreciate beautiful outdoor spaces? If so the St Andrews Botanic Gardens offers 18 acres of beautiful and inspirationally landscaped gardens for you to explore and let your senses run away!
4) Fancy visiting the Himalayas whilst visiting St Andrews? How is this possible, you might ask? Well in true St Andrews style right beside the world-famous ‘Old Course’ you can pretend to be Tiger Woods and hit ‘The Himalayas’ putting Green no matter how good you are with an iron!
5) So we have covered golf, the next must-see and do thing in St Andrews is to visit its beaches. Both beaches are winners of the Blue Flag and Seaside Awards and offer toilet facilities and cafes. The East Sands beach is more sheltered and has a play area for children – and maybe you will brave a swim in the sea!
6) No trip to St Andrew’s would be complete without some history. You are quite simply submerged in it in this town. St Andrews castle allows adults and children to play ‘let’s pretend’ and explore dungeons, tunnels and a drawbridge in any character they choose to be! The Cathedral is a fabulous history lesson that can capture any age of imagination, steeped in medieval stories and mystery.
7) Since St Andrews is by the sea, why not explore what lives in the sea while you are by the sea? St Andrews aquarium allows you to get up close and personal with many sea life creatures and view some of the most dangerous underwater creatures at a safe distance! Plus they have hilarious and entertaining meerkats!
8) If you are a golfer and want to find out more about the history of golf and how the game has developed, then the award-winning British Golf Museum is well worth a visit. It is great for children too with its interactive displays and the opportunity to try putting with a variety of different clubs and balls.
9) One of the most popular attractions is the Scottish Deer Centre, home to 14 species of deer. Here you can also see Otters, Fife’s only wolf pack, a brown bear, a wildcat and many other rare critters. With Birds of Prey displays, adventure playgrounds, a treetop walk and more, this makes for a great day out with the family.
10) It is one of Scotland’s best-kept secrets for over 40 years! Scotland’s Secret Bunker is nestled beneath a farmhouse and is accessed via a secret tunnel. Split over two floors, it is the size of two football pitches on top of each other, 100 feet underground. Built to house those who governed Scotland if there was a nuclear attack, you can learn how they would have survived and how you wouldn’t have!
So there you have it – 10 top things to do this summer here in St Andrews. If you are looking for holidays in St Andrews and places to stay, then Elderburn Luxury Lodges offers stunning self-catering accommodation near St Andrews. Get in touch today if you would like to find out more.